My Pics (http://picasaweb.google.com/andrewjkirby/India02?feat=directlink)

Wednesday 12 August 2009

Theatre and Maggots

We had our first day in theatre today. It was pretty awesome, we got very involved, scrubbing in and assisting etc. I was able to help with a trans-metatarsal amputation (chopping half their foot off), a circumcision, I removed a perianal skin tag, and I did some suturing too.

The amputation was a bit horrible. The lady had a badly infected foot that was swarming with maggots (because of unhygienic living conditions rather than crazy medical techniques). When we were using the saw to cut through the bones, the maggots all started to jump out from between her toes on to the operating table. There must have been about 10-15 of them all squirming around! I think im gunna go back next week!

1 comment:

  1. minging! great work on the perianal skin tag too :s

    alex's gandhi face is really strong.

    big love!

    ReplyDelete